What is the STM model?
Out Science, and Technology Mathematics (STM) model aims to increase interest, participation and performance of girls in STM subject at all level.
The programme creates interest and improves girls’ academic performance through activities such as science camps and clubs, study tours, use of profiles on woman achievers in science-based fields, exposure to role models, and female achievers in STM subjects.
It also trains teachers to adopt and use STM curricula, teaching and learning materials and classroom practices that are gender-responsive.
Many girls in sub-Sahara Africa do not participate significantly or perform well in STM subjects. The disparities between boys’ and girls’ participation and performance in these subjects become more pronounced at the level of education increases. A combination of factors, including cultural practices and attitudes and based teaching and learning materials perpetuates the imbalance.
Impact of FAWE’s model
- Higher rates of girls’ participation in STM subjects
- Improved test scores for girls’ participating in STM programme
- Girls’ positive attitudinal change to STM.
- Greater confidence for girls in tackling academic challenges
- Improved instructional material for subjects
- Improved teachers attitudes towards girls abilities and
- Participation in STM
Over 15,000 students have benefitted from our STM program since it was introduced in 1995.